Currently in its 10th season, the World Series of Poker Circuit will culminate at the recently WSOP-branded renovated Bally’s Atlantic City poker room with its fourth-annual National Championship. Running from May 22-24, the tournament will award a WSOP gold bracelet to the winner, and be recorded for future broadcast on ESPN.
“We look forward to welcoming the best poker players in the world to Atlantic City and our brand new poker room at Bally’s,” said Kevin Ortzman, general manager of the property. “We are dedicated to making our new room the best in New Jersey, and are excited for players to see all the great things happening in Atlantic City with the convergence of online and land-based gaming.”
Throughout this year’s WSOP season, players have been qualifying for the National Championship. Winners of the Main Event or Casino Championship at each stop were awarded automatic qualification, which has seen 34 total qualifiers advance so far. Ten more have yet to be determined; the total will end up being 44.
In addition, 50 players will qualify via at-large bids, which come from accumulating points on the National Leaderboard. Six final seats were still left unaccounted for, and the WSOP announced on Tuesday how those will be awarded.
1. WSOP National Championship Seat Freeroll – two seats will be awarded on WSOP.com websites in both Nevada and New Jersey through online freerolls on May 10 and May 17 respectively. To participate in the freeroll, players must simply make a deposit during the month of April. Once a deposit is made, players will receive a freeroll tournament ticket.
2. Knockout Series – two more seats will be awarded on WSOP.com in Nevada and New Jersey through mirrored knockout tournaments online from April 20 to May 3. To qualify, players may enter any of the 14 consecutive nightly tournaments in the Knockout Series and walk away the victor. The 14 individual tournament winners will each then be free-rolled into the 14-person Knockout Series Champions Freeroll taking place on May 4, with the winner of that freeroll earning the WSOP National Championship seat.
3. Bally’s Atlantic City Freeroll – to showcase their brand-new tournament room, Bally’s will host a live tournament freeroll on Monday, May 19 at 6:00 p.m. that will award one seat.
4. $1,125 “Last Chance” Qualifier – one seat will be awarded in a two-day qualifier at Bally’s Atlantic City on Tuesday, May 20. The tournament will also see the winner take home the lion’s share of the prize pool.
Also, the WSOP’s World Rankings top 100 players are eligible to buy into the event for $10,000. Any buy-in amount will be added to the prize pool, which means the final field will be somewhere between 100 – 200 players and have a prize pool between $1 -2 million.
“The WSOP National Championship is really about toasting the most consistent and dedicated players of the World Series of Poker brand,” said WSOP Executive Director Ty Stewart. “They have shown strong performance across our events and we’re delighted to provide a platform in Atlantic City for the first time to showcase and award these championship caliber players.”
For those players wanting to qualify for the National Championship the “old-fashioned” way, there are still five circuit stops left in the season. The remaining 2013/2014 WSOP Circuit schedule includes:
- Harrah’s Cherokee (North Carolina): April 3 – 14, 2014
- Horseshoe Council Bluffs (Iowa): April 10 – 21, 2014
- Harrah’s Philadelphia: April 17 – 28, 2014
- The Lodge Casino at Black Hawk (Colorado): April 24 – May 5, 2014
- Harrah’s New Orleans: May 8 – 19, 2014
The National Championship is bound to be an exciting one, and many people’s first chance to see the new and improved casino area at Bally’s Casino.
If you’re interested in getting an entry to the tournament from either a circuit stop or through online poker, hone your skills at Bovada Poker. They even have WSOP qualifying events!